lollapalooza

Monday, July 23, 2012

Who is following you?

Hebrews 13:7
"Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the Word of God.  Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith." (ESV)

"Appreciate your pastoral leaders who gave you the Word of God.  Take a good look at the way they live, and let their faithfulness instruct you, as well as their truthfulness.  There should be a consistency that runs through us all.  For Jesus doesn't change- yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself." (7-8 The Message)

This morning as Hiram opened our staff devotion and prayer time, he read this verse to us...in Spanish of course, but I just really love the Message version.  As we discussed the grand privilege and even greater responsibility of leadership and all that it entails, I was reminded of three keys to leadership : faithfulness, truthfulness and consistency.  What a challenge!  As leaders, we have to look backwards, following the path that others have led before us, "imitating their faith and way of life", as the verse says, but also looking forward.  Are we setting the same example for others to follow in our footsteps?  The most important thing about a leader is their character.  It's not my abilities or anything of me that makes me a good leader.  It has to be about my character that is molded by Christ in me.  It's also refreshing to remember that my skill, wisdom, creativity, guidance, and every single thing I need in leadership comes from God.  Someone told me a long time ago, "God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called."  I have seen this proven true in my own life.  When I was approached two years ago with the opportunity to come to Mexico and provide children's ministry training, I had no idea how I would possibly do that.  I felt so inadequate and lacking in so much training myself.  But God called me and then God equipped me. And he continues to do that every day.
I encourage you, look back and thank God for those leaders who brought you closer to the Lord and then, look around, see who's following you.  I pray that God will make us all leaders of great compassion, strength, wisdom, kindness and mercy, leaders that others can follow and imitate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment