lollapalooza

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Desayuno

Breakfast...or desayuno for you Spanish speakers...is quite possibly one of my favorite meals.  What's better than eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit, yogurt, etc, etc?  Quesadillas, bread toasted with cheese or beans or BOTH, and many other fine Mexican breakfast delicacies.  This past summer, my breakfast nearly every day consisted of eggs and fruit or Greek yogurt and fruit.  Oh how I miss my greek yogurt.  Despite the fact that there are at least 7 cases of yogurt at each Wal-Mart, Bodega, Superama or any other grocery store, there is no greek yogurt.  However, if you like those yogurt smoothie drinks- you are in luck here.  Too bad I don't.


But I have found a new favorite.  Probably not nearly as healthy but it sure is good...eggs & corn flakes!  That's right a boiled egg with corn flakes.  Like in the same cup.  Wierd, I know!  I had never seen anything like it.  First of all, to most of us (at least in the south), there is no need to differentiate between types of boiled eggs.  We simply boil them until they are hard, or hard boiled eggs.  But we just call them boiled eggs.  Well not in Mexico.  If you ask for a boiled egg, you will get a soft, runny, almost scarily close to raw egg.  But when you put this in a coffee cup, cover it with corn flakes, add a pinch of salt and crunch it all up...it is de-licious!  I wasn't sure what to think of this strange breakfast of champions at first but now I could eat this nearly every day.  You should give it a try!

Also, tonight, I am going to eat a chile enogada!  It's a fried pepper, stuffed with meat and fruit and then you add a creamy sauce over top...I can hardly wait for dinner.  :)

2 comments: