lollapalooza

Thursday, September 15, 2011

El 15 de Septiembre


Today is no ordinary day in Mexico...it's the 15th of September and 'el día de independencia'!  I have seen many fun and interesting sights already (you can check them out on facebook ) but I'm sure that tonight will top them all.  I'm waiting to send out a newsletter update until tomorrow so I can share the pics with everyone. :)  We are having a fiesta at the church tonight to celebrate.  Everyone is bring traditional Mexican dishes- yum!  And the dance group at church will be performing a traditional dance too.  I'm pretty excited to see this.

The top 10 things I am getting used to...(not in any particular order)
1. not flushing toilet paper
2. toilet paper that is scented (very strange when blowing your nose)
3. not drinking or brushing your teeth with sink water
4. dust being on everything, all the time, even if you dust every day
5. no carpet. tile floor everywhere.
6. not having my car...or sonic runs...or target...or independence!  (just kidding)
7. people wearing winter jackets when it's 50 degrees out
8. construction sounds (they are building new houses in front of and behind our house)
9. tortillas. all. the. time.  flour, corn, blue corn, take your pick.  they are everywhere!
10. Spanish.  (sort of.  maybe i should say 'being confused 75% of the time' haha)

Things really are going great so far.  I haven't really gotten started working at church yet.  I have however started painting the office that Edith and I will share.  It was pink.  Pink walls.  Pink floweredy floor.  So we are giving it a little face-lift.  They said that being the designer, I could do whatever I wanted with the office!  I don't think I've ever been given such free reign.  Let's hope I don't get out of control!  :)  I am enjoying spending lots of time with the family I'm living with (Cati, Hiram, Ana Luisa, Esteban and Daniel) and the Aguirres too.  They just moved to their own house yesterday.  It's much different around here without them.  Cati is also teaching me Hebrew!  In Spanish!  It's like a double whammy of a lesson for me.  But the Spanish gets a little better everyday.

I love how God brings little things and big things together in your life to make a huge connection for our feeble little minds.  Amidst His grand plan of bringing me to Mexico, I am reading Lineage of Grace by Francine Rivers (she is amazing by the way!  If you haven't read Redeeming Love, you must!), and I continue to be encouraged by the lives of these women who had no idea they were a part of God's plan to save all people by bringing the Messiah into the world.  The other night I had so many thoughts floating in my head but when I read the following verses in the book, one after the other, I was exploding with excitement.  It was one of those, "Thank you God!  Because of what I am reading right now, I know that you are hearing my every thought, prayer and cry...even the ones I don't say to you." encouraging moments.  I love those.  I hope you have one of those today too.  God is so good!

"If you need wisdom-if you want to know what God wants you to do- ask him, and he will gladly tell you.  He will not resent your asking.  But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind."
James 1:5...


"Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.  Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me."  Psalm 23:4


"Jesus said, 'Don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing  Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things?  Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs."  Matthew 6: 31-32


"Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be Brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."  Psalm 27:14


"God says, 'My thoughts are completely different from yours...And my ways far beyond anything you could imagine.  For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.'"  Isaiah 55:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment