lollapalooza

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

peanut butter is to tortillas, as....

I was never good at those...whatever you call those confusing phrases that are on the ACT and every standardized test.  I mean I'm good at english and grammar but those are just downright mind-boggling sometimes.  Anyway...I stumbled upon a picture today and realized I forgot to blog about this very important moment in history.  Take a look.


This is my friend, Olga.  And last week she tried peanut butter for the very first time!  It was a couple of weeks ago that Eddie, Olga and I were strolling through Wal-Mart while I did some grocery shopping.  Of course, I had to get some peanut butter because as any good American I can't live without having it in my pantry at all times.  Olga looks at me and says, "What's that?"  At this point, mine and Eddie's eyes proceed to pop out of our skulls and the volume rose increasingly as we replied, "YOU'VE NEVER HAD PEANUT BUTTER??"  We explained to her that just about every child in the US grows up with a peanut butter and jelly/banana/honey/something else sandwich in their lunch box 3 out of 5 days of the week.  It's the stuff that children all over American survive by and we were astonished that she had never tasted it.  We related to her in Mexican terms like this, "In Mexico you have tortillas.  In America we have peanut butter.  You just can't live without it! It's like a part of your culture."  I don't think we offended her with this but we made enough of an appalled reaction to convince her to find out what she was missing and try peanut butter for the first time last week.  As you can tell from the pictures...she was skeptical at first...gave it a brave first bite...thought it over....(what you don't see is she took another bite to re-evaluate)...and then decided it was....okay.  JUST OKAY!  We were slightly disappointed but never faltered from our proud love of the creamy peanut concoction.  She said she was going to stick to her tortillas.  We decided later that it wasn't a fair judgement because we gave Olga her first sampling of peanut butter slathered on a piece of bread with nothing else.  This caused a very dry and sticky mouth and probably lowered her chances of love for our favorite staple.  So, next time you're introducing someone to peanut butter, remember to include one of the following: banana, honey, chocolate, nutella or the always faithful jelly.  Just another crazy cultural experience in my daily life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment